Reiki is a Japanese spiritual practice that has been used as a type of alternative medicine by many people. It promotes relaxation and encourages the body’s natural healing mechanisms. Reiki is translated to mean “life force energy from a higher power”. This practice usually involves palm healing, where the therapist transfers energy through their palms so that it can benefit their client.
Reiki is based on the understanding that there is a life force called Ki (Chi or Qi in Chinese medicine). If there are any problems with the flow of Ki in the body, it produces mental and physical symptoms (this is what people experience as illness). The goal of Reiki is to increase the strength of Ki and encourage a smoother flow.
Benefits of Reiki Healing
If you’re not familiar with Reiki healing, you may not exactly understand how it can help you in your recovery as well as your overall lifestyle and wellness. There are several benefits associated with Reiki. Let’s go over some of them:
- Reiki encourages faster self-healing and also may give the immune system a boost.
- Reiki is believed to help with insomnia which can lead to different types of mental and physical illnesses, so anything that can help combat this is going to boost the immune system.
- Reiki promotes deep states of relaxation which helps the body rid itself of tension. Stress can contribute to several illnesses.
- Reiki has been known to improve symptoms of chronic pain.
- Reiki encourages the body to rid itself of toxins.
- Reiki may help to increase creativity and memory.
- Reiki may help to improve self-esteem.
- It is believed that most illnesses are caused by blockages in the body to the flow of Chi/Qi (Ki), and Reiki is believed to remove these blockages.
- Reiki is believed to slow down the aging process.
- Reiki will usually help an individual feel full of energy after a session.
- People that are on a more spiritual path can benefit because of its ability to cleanse the body.
People are often skeptical about Reiki but giving it a try won’t hurt and can only be beneficial. If you’re interested in how Reiki assists those struggling with addictions, we’ve put together the main benefits that you may find very interesting.
Benefits of Reiki for People Recovering from Addiction
Reiki has also been used to help in addiction recovery. This technique alone is unlikely to help someone overcome addiction, but Reiki can be a great added benefit once an individual is sober or in the process of getting sober. Some of the potential benefits include:
- Daily Reiki sessions may make the addiction withdrawal symptoms feel less severe and also make things more tolerable.
- Early recovery can be stressful. The relaxation techniques of Reiki can help people better deal with the stresses of early recovery. Relapses can occur when people become overwhelmed.
- Reiki can help to repair some of the physical and mental damage of long term substance abuse and help to get the individual back to a life of healthy living.
- Reiki can help those that are experiencing anger and resentment by helping the individual to release some of their negative emotions.
- Reiki can also help people to feel more comfortable in their skin which is helpful for those dealing with self-esteem issues.
At Recreate Life Counseling, we’ve incorporated Reiki into our holistic wellness program for a comprehensive approach to treating substance use disorders.
What to Expect in a Reiki Session?
One may wonder what they can expect in an individual session. A Reiki session can differ depending on the practitioner. There is both Western or Traditional Japanese Reiki. Here are the main elements:
- It is important to wear comfortable clothing that is not too constrictive and to avoid anything that will make the individual feel too hot or too cold. It is also best to remove any jewelry or belts.
- Some Reiki therapist will place their hands lightly on the body and some will only place their palms close to the skin. They may focus on one part of the body for up to 5 minutes.
- The client will usually start off lying on their back, and the practitioner will start at the head and work their way down the body.
- It is common for some therapists to use scented candles or relaxation music to create a calm atmosphere.
- Some individuals experience strange sensations in the body which could be the energy flowing. Some even claim to feel like they are floating above their body.
- Individuals usually feel very relaxed after a session, so it may be best to have someone else drive them home.
If you would like more information on the programs we have to offer, please give us a call. Recreate Life Counseling is always here to answer questions and help you start your journey to a sober lifestyle. We look forward to speaking with you soon.