Methylphenidate is the active ingredient in medications used to treat attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), and modafinil is a medication commonly used for the treatment of narcolepsy. However, both medications are sometimes used for neuroenhancement and taken by healthy men and women with no personal histories of mental illness. According to an article published in a 2010 issue of Pharmacological Research titled, “Modafinil and methylphenidate for neuroenhancement in healthy individuals: A systematic review,” both of these medications are often used to help people complete day-to-day tasks and improve cognitive functioning, even if these people suffer from neither ADHD nor narcolepsy.
Dependence on Prescription Stimulants is Real
Methylphenidate (Ritalin), was shown to improve memory, and modafinil improves concentration levels and increases alertness in past studies. However, when taken other than as prescribed for any other reason, both of these prescription medications can result in a range of health-related consequences over time – including physical and psychological dependence. If you or someone you know and love has been suffering from a prescription drug abuse disorder of any severity, Recreate Life Counseling is available to help. Our program of recovery was carefully developed by a team of professionals with years and years of firsthand experience treating substance abuse issues of all types and severities. To learn more about our recovery program, reach out today.
Differences and Similarities Between Methylphenidate and Modafinil
There are many reasons why these two medications are similar, but even more reasons why they are significantly different from one another. When comparing methylphenidate and modafinil, the following observations can be made:
- Both medications can be obtained with a written prescription, but neither are sold over the counter
- Both medications can be used to improve symptoms associated with ADHD
- Both medications can be used for narcolepsy
- Although this usage is rare, both medications can be used to treat some symptoms associated with depression, such as fatigue and a lack of motivation
- Both medications are classified as CNS stimulants
- The dosage of each medication vary significantly, with a common dosage of methylphenidate coming in at 10 mg, and a common dosage of modafinil coming in at 200 mg
- Modafinil tends to be significantly more expensive
- Both medications are taken orally, in a tablet form
- While both medications have a potential for abuse, methylphenidate has a significantly higher potential for abuse
- 114 chemical substances are known to interact with methylphenidate, well there are significantly more drugs known to interact with modafinil – 418 in total
Recreate Life Counseling and Prescription Drug Abuse Treatment
Recreate Life Counseling provides men and women with a unique and comprehensive program of addiction recovery. Our state-of-the-art treatment facility is located in the heart of Boynton Beach, Florida – a beachside community that is quickly becoming known as the recovery capital of the country. We offer a wide range of treatment programs geared towards helping individuals with a variety of needs. Some of the treatment programs we offer include residential treatment, day or night treatment, partial hospitalization, intensive outpatient treatment and outpatient treatment, Medication-Assisted Treatment (MAT), and dual diagnosis treatment.
Addiction to Methylphenidate or Modafinil
We offer a wide range of proven therapeutic services, including group and individual counseling, relapse prevention training, 12-step program immersion, trauma-informed care, demographic-specific groups, holistically based therapies, and Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. Our main goal is to provide every one of our clients with the life skills and coping mechanisms they need to maintain success and sobriety for years to come.
Many of our clients come to us with an existing prescription for medication like methylphenidate or modafinil. If a prescription has been written by a medical professional, but a client has been engaging in substance abuse, we will look into viable alternatives. There are multiple alternatives available for the treatment of attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder and narcolepsy. no matter what your unique and highly individualized needs, we have got you completely covered. Simply give us a call today for more information or to get started on your journey of recovery.